Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

7-13 p.204

7. An alloy is a sold combination of atoms of two or more metals.

8. Two alloys I use regualry are steel and bronze. I use steel when I drive, and Bronze when I pay with coins. Steel is an alloy made of primarly iron, with carbon and small amounts of other elements. Bronze is an alloy primarily copper, with tin, zinc, and other elements.

9. Carbon is a nonmetal that is a component of both steel and stainless steel.

10. Steel: Fe3C

  • Properties of steel are often determined by carbon content. High-carbon steel is hard and brittle; low-or-medium-carbon steel can be welded and shaped.
  • Steel is used in automobile and airplane parts, kitchen utensils, plumbing fixtures, and architectural decoration.
11. Semiconductors are found on columns 12 and 14. They are metalloids and are mostly located on the ladder in the periodic table.

12. Three elements commonly used for doping semiconductors are phosphorous, aluminum, and arsenic.

13. The primary use of the products of semiconductor technology is that it has electrical conductivity between that of conductors and nonconductors at normal temperatures. Elements with semiconducting properties include germanium (Ge), gallium arsenide (GaAs), and cadmium sulfide (CdS).

No comments:

Post a Comment